Thursday, March 21, 2013

White Chipotle Chicken Chili


Did everyone enjoy their St. Patrick's Day?

Last year, Mr. Vittles and I took the train into New York City for a party, and even though we left NJ early in the morning, the train was already filled with crazy drunks.

This year.... was a little more low-key for us.  The highlight was probably dressing up Mini Smalls in her St. Patty's Day outfit from my dad & stepmom, which later included some ridiculous green sunglasses.




And while most people were probably making corned beef & cabbage, I was making white chipotle chicken chili.  I do have some Irish in me, but not enough I guess!

The Mini and I have been recovering from a cold so chicken soup probably would've been a better choice for me, but Mr. Vittles and I are really not soup people.  So I figured chicken chili was the next best thing.


Not much other news to report.  As my friend from work (who has a son 2 months older than the Mini) pointed out - every day is like Groundhog Day, and we are probably living parallel lives in separate households.  Get up, take care of the baby, rush to work, rush home, take care of the baby, wash bottles, try to figure out what to eat for dinner, hang out for an hour or so, feed the baby again, and go to bed.

Not exactly setting the world on fire over here!  But I do have some good news.  For one, I did well on my promotional exam at work (that I mentioned I was "preparing" for a few weeks ago).  It turns out I got the highest score of the 70+ people that took it, so I should hopefully be in a good position whenever they announce the openings for my title.

And two - the Mini rolled over from her back to her tummy today!  Mr. V and I were your stereotypical kooky parents on Monday night - we actually sat watching her with the video camera for about 15 minutes because we were sure she would do it then.  (My mother-in-law told us she had been incredibly close at her house, numerous times that day).  But... nothing.  Then today I put the Mini down on a rug in our bedroom, while I made the bed.  I looked away for maybe 10 seconds, looked back and there she was on her tummy!  Go figure.  So no one witnessed it, but it seems she reached a milestone nonetheless.

She will be 5 months old on Monday, I can't believe how times flies.  Everyone said it would, but it still surprises me.  In the meantime, I'm wondering if I should have doubled this chili.  Then we could have eaten it four nights this week, and it would really feel like Groundhog Day :)

White Chipotle Chicken Chili

  • 2 C. reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
  • 2 15-oz. cans canellini beans, drained, rinsed & divided
  • 2 T. canola oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 large cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 1/4 t. chipotle chili powder
  • 1 1/2 t. cumin
  • 1/4 t. salt (or to taste)
  • 1 4.5-oz can green chiles
  • 1 lb. chicken breast, cooked & shredded
  • 1/4 C. half & half
  • 1/4 C. fresh cilantro, minced

In a food processor or blender, puree 1/2 C. of chicken broth with 1 can of drained & rinsed canellini beans until mixture is smooth.  Set aside.

In large dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat.  Add onions & cook, stirring until softened (about 5 minutes).  Add garlic and cook 30 seconds until fragrant.

Add remaining 1 1/2 C. chicken broth & can of canellini beans along with chili powder, cumin, salt, green chiles, and chicken.  Bring mixture to a boil (increasing heat slightly if needed) and simmer 10 minutes.  Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.

Add reserved bean puree and half & half.  Reduce heat to medium low & cook, stirring frequently, until mixture is heated through.  Stir in cilantro & adjust seasonings to taste.  Serve topped with sour cream and/or cheese, if desired.  Serves 4.

Recipe Adapted from Organic Gardening

1 comment:

  1. THIS SOUNDS AMAZING!

    Thanks for the great recipe and photos of that little green monster :)

    LLMLL!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!

If you have a question or problem you can also feel free to email me at vittlesandbits@gmail.com. Thanks for visiting :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...