Sunday, March 18, 2012

Irish Cream Mocha Fudge


Happy belated St. Patrick's Day, everyone!

I would have liked to post this before the holiday, but this past week really got away from me!

I made this fudge on Friday night for a party we went to yesterday in NYC.

In the spirit of starting festivities early, some of Mr. Vittles' friends hosted a brunch... in their amazing apartment that has not one but three decks.  It turned out to be a beautiful day, so we were able to spend a lot of time outside.

But since we wanted to take the train into New York, which takes about an hour & 45 minutes from our house, we had to be on the train by 7:50AM.

Usually on a Saturday morning, I am not even awake yet at that time.   (I get up at 6:15AM on weekdays for work though - don't worry, I'm not a total bum).  And to make matters worse, I overslept because I set my alarm incorrectly, so I was rushing and had no time for coffee or food.  The foggy weather here yesterday morning was not helping me pep up, either.  So I would have liked nothing more than to take a little nap on the way up to NYC... but I quickly found out that was not in the cards.

The train was filled with young (mostly college-aged) people, all decked out in green, I guess heading into the city for the St. Patrick's Day parade.  NJ Transit allows people to drink on the train, so they were already getting rowdy.  About twenty minutes into the trip it was already standing-room only.  On our particular car, there was a girl who was apparently having a birthday, and we must have heard the song "Happy Birthday" about ten times over the duration of the trip.  Not to mention other songs ("99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall"), various screams and chants, and also lots of banging on the roof of the train car.

My dad warned me from experience that the "drunk train" was going to be interesting.  But we were expecting that to be at night, not at 8 in the morning.

Surprisingly the train ride home around 5PM was much calmer.  I think at that point people were exhausted from drinking all day and ready for a nap.  Luckily, that early in the evening we were with either the lightweights or the smart people who had enough sense to call it quits - not the heavyweights, or ones that were forced by their friends to rally for the good of the group, and would likely end up spending more time in the bathroom than their seats.

If they even made it that far.

...

Yucky.

So anyway, St. Patty's Day is not one of my favorite holidays (mainly for the above reasons).  But we had a great time at the party, and hopefully everyone enjoyed the fudge.


It has loads of sugar, so it at least got the Mr. Vittles seal of approval!

Irish Cream Mocha Fudge

  • 1/3 C. Irish cream (such as Bailey's)
  • 1 T. instant coffee granules
  • 3/4 C. (1 1/2 sticks) butter
  • 1 7-oz. jar marshmallow cream
  • 3 C. sugar
  • 1/2 C. evaporated milk
  • 1 12-oz. bag milk chocolate chips
  • 1/2 C. semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • dash salt
  • 1 t. vanilla

Line a 9x13" pan with foil, and grease with nonstick cooking spray.  Combine milk and semi-sweet chocolate chips with salt in a large heatproof bowl & set aside.

Combine Irish cream with instant coffee in a small, microwave-safe bowl or measuring cup.  Microwave 20 seconds (more if needed) and stir to dissolve coffee granules.  Set aside.

In large saucepan over medium heat, combine butter, marshmallow creme, sugar, and evaporated milk, stirring until melted.  Slowly add irish cream mixture and bring to a simmer, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.  (Reduce heat if mixture starts to burn).

Pour mixture over chocolate chips, and add vanilla.  Stir until mixture is smooth and creamy.  Pour into prepared pan and smooth evenly to sides.  Let chill in refrigerator until set, then cut into 1" squares.  Can be kept at room temperature, or in refrigerator if desired.  Makes one 9x13 pan of fudge.

Recipe Adapted from Justapinch.com

12 comments:

  1. Mmmm...pretty sure I could eat a whole pan of this. Sounds delicious.

    There were reams of idiots in green in my city too, lined up outside bars before 10 am. My grandmother was Irish (last name Collins) but it's not my favourite holiday either, mainly because I think there's a wee bit of misinterpretation. I mean, St. Patrick was martyred on March 17. Killed! Brutally! And we celebrate this by...getting sloppy drunk? Weird!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! Very weird indeed, Rachel. Glad to see I'm not alone :)

      Delete
  2. I am total sucker for good fudge... and oh yum! That looks really delicious... Thanks for sharing this awesome recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Irish cream + Mocha! Oh my! Where have you been hiding this recipe all this while?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This fudge looks decadently addictive! Mention of the 'drunk train' made me laugh. I don't know if you've watched 'How I met your Mother' recently, but there have been lots of allusions to the drunk train!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha no I've only watched that show a few times on reruns... but I can imagine its a similar idea :)

      Delete
  5. I never think to make fudge except at Christmas though I could see it being a good warm weather food since you don't bake it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always wanted to try making fudge but never had the courage...you just gave me the inspiration to do it.
    This weekend it's going to be all about making fudge! Thanks for sharing this awesome recipe.
    Love&Light
    Margherita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margherita, I completely understand, fudge can be intimidating! I don't have the greatest luck with candy, but I seemed to do fine with this - so hopefully you can take courage from that too :) Good luck with your fudge-filled weekend!

      Delete
  7. All I can say is yum. I wish somone would make this for me. I just awarded you the versatile blog award. come by and check it out. http://questfordelish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do love an excuse to toss some marshmallow cream in the cart! Annnd a reason to use more Irish cream.

    I work in a college town and on my way into work on St. Pattys day, at 9AM, there are already ambulances lined up and kids puking in the street.... maaajor grossness. Really ticks me off. >< grrr

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!

If you have a question or problem you can also feel free to email me at vittlesandbits@gmail.com. Thanks for visiting :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...