Sunday, March 6, 2011

Feta, Almond, & Roasted Red Pepper Stuffed Chicken


My kitchen is barely out of boxes from moving to our new place, and I feel like it's been soooo long since I've made anything!  Sadly, we've eaten mostly take-out the past couple weeks.

I wanted to post something for you though, so I took a look at some of my old photos. 

This was the recipe from the V&B annals that won out. 

I have a sick obsession with feta.  Almost as sick as my obsession with coconut and popcorn (not necessarily together, but then again maybe that would be a good idea?) however Mr. Vittles does not share my feelings.  I make us separate salads so I can put feta on mine, and he calls it "toe jam."

Ok, sorry to put that image in your head.  But he does!

In any case, he actually enjoyed this recipe so that says a lot. 

Ahh, remembering back to this dish makes me so hungry for a home-cooked meal!

And... tonight we had grilled cheese. 

Oh well.  Baby steps!

Feta, Almond, & Roasted Red Pepper Stuffed Chicken
  • 4 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 oz. softened cream cheese
  • 1/4 C. feta cheese
  • 3 T. crushed almonds, divided
  • 2 T. minced roasted red peppers
  • 1/2 t. (1 clove) minced garlic
  • 1/2 t. oregano (divided)
  • salt & freshly-grated pepper, to taste
  • 2 T. fresh lemon juice
  • 1/4 C. chicken broth
  • 1 T. olive oil
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. 

Chop or crush almonds.  In small bowl, mash cream cheese, feta, garlic, red peppers, 2 T. almonds, 1/4 t. oregano, salt & pepper until well-combined.

Using a small knife, cut a pocket in the side of each breast and stuff with mixture (1/4 of mixture per breast).  Gently press to flatten.

Heat olive oil in large ovenproof skillet until shimmering over medium heat.  Season breasts with salt & pepper and cook in skillet, turning once, til browned (about 6 minutes).

Transfer skillet with breasts to oven and cook until heated through, about 7-10 minutes or until thermometer inserted into meat registers 170 degrees.  Transfer breasts to platter & keep warm.

Add lemon juice and broth along with remaining 1 T. almonds and 1/4 t. oregano to skillet.  Cook over medium high, scraping up any browned bits, and simmer 3 minutes.  Pour over breasts & serve.

Recipe Heavily Adapted from Food & Wine

9 comments:

  1. haha So funny. Even if you didn't get a fancy home cooked meal, at least it was a comforting one. This sounds delicious. Keep the feta for everything! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really good! I'm a big feta fan too, and my fiance is just so-so about it. I'm definitely trying to "broaden" his horizons a little bit! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bring on the toe jam cheese! I am a huge feta fan. This sounds so delicious. Hopefully you'll be back into the swing of things soon so you can have those homecooked meals again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the flavor combo. Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds gorgeous with the almonds in there, too. Lovely textures! Thanks for sharing and good luck with settling in. It won't be long now until you're making your nest in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope unpacking speeds up for you. I hate moving. >.< This dinner sounds delicious though. Im sure it makes up for the take-out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ugh, moving. but this looks great! thanks for sharing :)
    -meg
    @ http://clutzycooking.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Feta should be on everything LOL at least it is in my kitchen :) Love this recipe, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this will definately get you out of a take out slump! this looks soooo good! i love all the flavors! mmm!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!

If you have a question or problem you can also feel free to email me at vittlesandbits@gmail.com. Thanks for visiting :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...